Image Map

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happiness is Newfoundland Bread

I tend to be a bit of a carb freak. Earlier I mentioned eating jam on bread, and how delicious was the jam made from freshly picked berries! But the other part of this scrumptious equation is the bread. During my first stay in Newfoundland I got very accustomed to eating this delicious homemade bread for breakfast, dinner (lunch), as a lunch (snack, more on Nfld terms later), and anything in between.

During my second stay, my Newfoundland mom taught me her secret recipe. And I was quite successful while under her watchful eye. Look at how delicious these loaves look, and so cute on the chequered white and yellow fabric.



I asked her for recipe, and although she doesn’t really measure, here is what she shared:

Newfoundland White Bread (10 loaves)
4 tbsp yeast
4 tbsp white sugar
2 cups warm water
1 ½ bags of flour (10lbs)
1 tbsp salt
1 ½ cups oil
2 cups milk
6-8 cups water

Add the yeast and white sugar to the first measure of warm water, and let proof for ten minutes. Mix the salt in the flour, and using hands work in oil. Once mixed add the yeast mixture and the milk. Continue mixing and slowly add the water until a smooth elastic dough forms.

Let rise in a greased bowl, covered, for 1 hour. Remove from bowl, knock air out and knead for ten minutes, let rise for 1 hour. Grease ten loaf tins. Work dough into three small buns (per loaf), make sure they are evenly sized and smooth on top. Once in tins, let rise for 1 more hour.

Bake at 350˚F for 30 minutes, until golden brown. You will likely have to bake only 5 at once, feel free to rotate their position half-way through. When they are done rub butter/margarine all over loaf to keep bread soft. Store in 8lb bags, and freeze for future enjoyment! Don't forget to enjoy some while it is still warm. :)

And here is my first attempt:



I tried to make 1/5 of the recipe, it was pretty good. I did continue with the bread baking and was quite confident with my ability. However, I received a bread-maker for Christmas and oh how sweet it is! Thanks Reggie!

Happy carb loading!


1 comment:

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)