Image Map

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Guest Post: Lassie Buns by Caitlin

Today I have a delicious treat for you from one of my lovely sponsors. Caitlin is a long time friend and baker extraordinaire. I'm sure you will be drooling by the end!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My name is Caitlin from Bake What Your Momma Gave You, and I’ve known Margot since we were roommates in our first year of university.  It’s funny that I now have the baking blog, because back in the day, Margot was always the baker.  She’d bake up delicious crumbles and no fuss treats for us to share.  When Margot suggested a guest post, I knew right away that I wanted to find a quintessentially Newfoundland baked good.  Never having been to Newfoundland myself, I went to my friend Aimee from Cornerbrook and asked her what she thought.  She immediately said lassie buns, and just to confirm, I asked my friend Craig from Gander, who said that they have nostalgia factor for him.   

 
There are not a lot of recipes on the internet for lassie buns, but one thing I was warned about was a tendency towards dry-ness.  Knowing that, I decided to play with the recipe a bit.  Let me tell you, the rest of Canada is missing out!  I was delighted to find out how awesome these little ginger molasses cakies are.  Soft and lightly sweet.  Amazing with a cup of tea and yummy with some cheddar cheese.  These delicious treats are just one more thing that Newfoundland has to offer.  Try them yourself and see!

Lassie Buns

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup molasses
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/3 tsp salt
1 cup warm water

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.  Beat together butter and sugar, add eggs, sour cream and then molasses.
  3. Add dry ingredients to your butter mixture and beat until just combined.
  4. Add warm water, stirring again until combined.
  5. Make into little paddies and bake for 10 minutes, turning the cookie sheet after 5.  I piped mine on to the sheet instead of forming paddies and then used a wet hand to smooth the top.  It might be easier because the dough is sticky. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having been to Newfoundland many times, I can say I have only had these once (that I can remember) and I think I might just have to whip up this recipe, and try it for myself. A lassie bun and a warm cup of tea sounds delish don't you think? If you would like see more of Caitlin's tasty treats hop on over to Bake What Your Momma Gave You and look through her recipe book! Thanks so much Caitlin, we loved having you here today!

Have you entered the giveaway yet? Today is the last day, 12:00 midnight EST. I will post the winner in the am!

1 comment:

  1. You know I'm from Newfoundland but I've only had these a few times. But molasses is very big here of course! Haha. They are delicious, and Caitlins looks fantastic. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)