Image Map

Saturday, May 21, 2011

In the Garden: Fruit Trees

The most wonderful thing about fruit trees? The beautiful flowers that come before the fruit! And of course the wonderful fruit, and delicious things you can make.
 
 
 
I unfortunately do not have any fruit trees in my garden (only a black currant bush), these beautiful flowers belong to a crab-apple tree that is located outside the back of the store where I work. It has been flowering for a few days now, and is simply inspiring! Upon commenting on its beautiful flowers I was told that it was great, until it started to bear fruit - the fruit falls and makes a mess all over the back parking lot. The fruit falls? Nobody harvests it? Whaaaa? May I take the crab-apples? Of course you can! When I was in Newfoundland I learned how to make jam, and last summer I kept myself busy making strawberry, raspberry, peach, blueberry, and blackberry jams. And this summer I am hoping to expand my repertoire (it might also have something to do with the upcoming weeding). I can't wait!

Do you make your own jams? Or buy them from a seasoned preserver?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)