Image Map

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Lazy Dinner

So I finished my first week of work. And I am exhausted. Last night I got home and sat out on the deck, watching as mamma bird fed her little ones (here, sorry I didn't catch a photo of the actual feeding). I waited for Reggie to get home, figuring we would make something for dinner. I forgot he had plans to go to a show with a friend, so he stopped in long enough to say hello, have a shower, get dressed and kiss me goodbye. Ok, now what? I'm starving, and exhausted. I decided to put a loaf in the bread-maker, but that would be more than two hours... I've got it! Couscous salad. A quick and easy meal that covers all the bases.


Quick Couscous Salad
1 cup     couscous
1/3         cucumber, roughly chopped
1/2         tomato, chopped
1 tbsp    butter, or margarine
1/2 cup  walnuts
              salt and pepper


Chop the cucmber and the tomato and set aside. Add 1 cup of boiling water to the couscous; cover and let stand for 5-10minutes.

Meanwhile toast the walnuts. I use my toaster oven, on broil. The nuts are done when they begin to be fragrant, and turn a light golden brown.
When the walnuts are done, remove from the toaster oven, and set aside to cool slightly. Uncover the couscous, add the margarine and fluff with a fork. Add the cucumber, tomato, and salt and pepper to taste. Lastly, add the walnuts, and combine.
I had a few black beans leftover in the fridge, so I threw them in for extra protein. Feel free to add anything you like: nuts, seeds, veggies, dried fruits, etc. And finally a few tips to keep in mind! When you are toasting the walnuts, be sure to keep an eye on them, they can go from almost done to burnt in one quick day-dream! Oops!

And salads like this are best photographed on a plate, but definitely best served in a bowl. "Gunner, there's a treat for you on the kitchen floor!"
Hehe. There were aspirations to do some yard work last night... I'm thinking I will save that for today, when I am well rested, and full of energy!

How was your Friday evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)