Image Map

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Peppermint Sugar Cookies: With This Enchanted Pixie


Ever since I was little, we've always made peppermint sugar cookies each Christmas. This is one tradition that I'm passing onto my kiddos - it's one of my favourite parts of the holiday season! I often make them to give as gifts too :)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups plain {all-purpose} flour
1tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
1 cup butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 large egg yolk
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup crushed candy canes
extra icing sugar for rolling

1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside

2. Beat the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl until fluffy, beat in the egg yolk and then the egg whites. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and then finally stir in the candy canes.

3. Chill dough in the fridge for 1 hour

4. Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas mark 4 and grease 2 large baking sheets.

5. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, roll in the extra icing sugar and place 2 inches apart on the baking trays. Flatten each cookie with the tines of a fork, to create a criss-cross pattern.

6. Bake for around 10-12 minutes, until the bottoms are golden. Allow to cool on a cooling rack completely.

**I find that these bake best if the candy canes are very finely crushed - with few chunky pieces left.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much Polly, for the delicious and festive recipe! If you would like to know a little more about the woman behind this recipe please check the Bio Page!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm! These sound absolutely wonderful! And easy enough for me to make! I also saw a recipe recently with chocolate cake mix cookies with candy cane! DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cookie idea! Polly always has great recipes: there was this other one on her blog about "cinnamon swirls", and this one here looks to be a knock-out as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)