Image Map

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cranberry-Rhubarb Muffins

I'm still in the process of using up some fruit in the freezer. It seems I chose the sweeter fruits for my earlier baking adventures. So for this round I was left with some more sour options. I have been looking for a really good muffin recipe for a while now, and when I came across this one in one of my cooking books I had to give it a try. This fluffy simple muffin is about to become one of my regular go-to recipes. So yummy!
Cranberry-Rhubarb Muffins
 (adapted from Blueberry-Lemon Muffins, Cook Step by Step, Lucy Bannell)

 4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
a couple handfuls of fruit/berries (fresh or frozen)
a couple slurps of fruit juice, orange works well
 
Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Set 2 tbsp of the sugar aside and mix the rest in with the flour. Make a well in the centre of the flour.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg just until mixed. Add the melted butter, vanilla, and milk and beat until foamy. In a slow, steady stream, pour the egg mixture into the well of the flour.
Stir with a rubber spatula, gradually drawing in the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter. Gently fold in the fruit, being careful not to bruise (if it is berries). Do not over mix, or the muffins will be tough.

Spoon batter evenly into a greased (or paper lined) 12 muffin pan. Bake until metal skewer (or a toothpick) comes out clean.It may take up to 15-20 minutes, but you should check at 12 minutes to make sure they don’t overcook (some ovens cook faster than others). Let the muffins cool slightly on a rack.

In a small bowl, stir the reserved sugar with the fruit juice. While the muffins are still warm, dip the top of each muffin into the juice mixture and set upright on a wire rack to continue cooling. Since the muffins are still warm they will absorb the glaze for a moist sweet muffin. They are best served while still warm.

And that is one rather delicious recipe! I recommend giving it a try. Reggie and I had two each this evening, and I can't wait for tomorrow when I can have another one or two for breakfast.

I hope your weekend is wonderful so far!
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)